Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Two Work Here

Dateline: A road by the coffee fields near Alajuela, Costa Rica, where I walked each day preparing for my 1986 1,000 mile walk for Habitat.
The dark green and waxy leaves of the coffee plants parkeld in the tropical sun as I took a long walk through one of my favorite spots in the world. I do not care for coffee as a drink, preferring tea. But I love the simple people who prune and pick the coffee, and this valley whoe contour-planted shrubs are as lovely as any garden landscaped by professionals.
Water gurgled through the irrigation pipes that skirted the road. A flock of bright green tropical birds took noisy flight from a flame-tree as I passed by, scolding me for having disturbed them. Two bright-eyed chidren, playing in a front lawn, giggled at my effort to speak to them in Spanish, and fled into their little home. Their moether ceased her mopping to glance at the stranger in their midst, and smiled a cautious smile. A half-grown puppy stood guard by a banana tree to make certain that I ddid not leave the road.
Than, to my left, a leant-to shop caught my attention. It was perhaps ten feet wide and 40 feet long, made of crude lumber and tin. The front had no wall, and as I stepped inside I saw wooden bedsteads for sale. They were hand carved and a bit crude, but sturdy and with a unique air of elegance about them.
The carpenter came to the front, and I explained to him that I was not there ot buy, but was interested in him and what he was doing. This brought forth a tour of the shp. He used rough lumber, with the bark still on two sides. His tools were simple, and the work very laobr intensive. With great pride he showed me a corner shelf he was making for his wife.
I asked how many worked in the shp, and he replie,"Dos." Two worked in the shop. I looked around for the other person. Smiling, he pointed to himself and said, "Uno" (one). then pointing upward toward the heavens he said, "y Dios," (and God). He and God worked in the shop. Reaching for a piece of rough lumber, he said "Dios." God provides the materials. Pointing to a finished bed he said, "you y Dios." (I and God). God made the wood. He made the beds. Two worked in that shop.
His theology was simple yet profound. Pondering it as I left the shop my mind went  back to the Old Testament and I relected upon how our spiritual forefathers saw the hand of God at work in all that happended. Since was near Christmas I remembered how the oby, Jesus, had played in a carpenter's shop much like the one I had just left. His father, Joseph, was also able to see the hande of God at work in what was happening around him.
Sophistication and "progress" tend to lead us away from this feeling of relationship with the eternal. How many work where you work? Is God included in the count?

No comments:

Post a Comment